It has recently happened in the company network that i work to necessary update the Windows Live Messenger version installed as MS does no longer support old versions.
Until here nothing strange, unfortunately after installed and started it i got a signin error telling me that the contacts list isn’t available.
Looking on web for the error code 80072ef3 i discovered it has been due to some proxy configuration that deny to download the contacts list of MSN.
To get over this problem i essentially found 3 solutions:
– add Messenger servers to exception list:
1. Click Start, Control Panel, Internet options
2. Switch to the Zones tab
3. Mark the entry Trusted sites, and click the Sites… button
4. Add the following entry to the list of trusted sites: https://*.contacts.msn.com
5. Click OK, and switch to the Connections tab
6. Click the LAN settings button. If the Advanced button is active, click it and add *.contacts.msn.com to the Exceptions list
7. Click OK to close the dialogs
8. Retry to sign in to Messenger
– choose a different place where to synchronize your contact list:
1. Take your notebook home and connect to your private Internet
2. Sign in to Windows Live Messenger
3. It will synchronize the contact lists
4. Now, Messenger will also sign in at your corporate intranet, as long as you do not change your contact people
– switch back to Messenger 2008: the last resort is to uninstall Messenger 2009 and start using Messenger 2008 again, naturally then you will get the message you must update it or it will not start like i wrote on first lines of this article, well to bypass this a patch for both versions 8.1 and 8.5 has been created, you just must download and apply it, then you can continue use the old version without problems!